The harder they are to build, part 2

Hello again folks and folkettes.

Once again I have been tinkering with my Titan, working on the main tower for her cathedral. I didn't mention it before, but to make life a little easier for myself, I have chosen to use some of Games Workshop's Shrine of the Aquila kit for some parts of the gunnery cathedral; in part for the brilliant level of detail it provides, in part so I have fewer tower walls to cut out!

I'm sure you are all gagging to see the tower as I have got it so far, yes? Oh, you weren't? Well... awkward, but here it is anyway!




If you have managed to make it to this blog, I assume you are smart enough to work out which bits I did and which bits GW did... On the side there is a gothic style arch, the central panel of which is raised about 3mm above the main wall behind it. The buttresses are reasonably simple, but cutting out the flying buttresses was a bit of a pain because they are reasonably thin (roughly 5mm, when the extruded polystyrene I've been working with is 6mm thick in the first place!)






For the parapet floor/tower roof, I figured the Adeptus Mechanicus wouldn't be so dull as to use simple square tiles, so made a tessalated pattern of squares, equilateral triangles and hexagons. Well, that was the plan. As you can see a few bits went a little awry. Still, I am quite chuffed with the end results, especially as the launch tube for the vortex missile sits in the pattern so nicely. I assure you that was more by luck than design.


And with the other side attached. The blue box is only there to give you a rough idea of the depth of the cathedral's base platform. As you can see, this thing is BIG. So much so, you can drive other superheavy vehicles on my superheavy vehicle! In this instance, Forge World's Macharius Vulcan. When I am finished, I think the full gunnery cathedral will be at least as large as the main torso of the Titan.

I still need to detail the parts I have made, as well as fill a few gaps. The largest of which is the back wall, which simply doesn't exist. I won't start that yet though as I plan to mount this tower right at the back of the cathedral, against a wall that will be a giant Aquila symbol (at least from behind the titan) which I don't want to make until I know the full size of all the towers and cloisters as it is going to be the full width of the cathedral and slightly taller. Understandably, I don't want to rush into that.


I couldn't not put this shot in. The last thing any enemy of the Imperium would want to see looming over them!

And with that I shall leave you for a few more days. Do you have any ideas for detailing this or other towers? Let me know in the comments. My creativity only stretches so far... usually too far, but still!

Matt

Comments